Closing Date: 01 Mar 2024
Electrician – Thames Barrier G4
Salary – Up to £57,500 inclusive of London Weighting and other allowances
Locations – London
Staff Grade – G4
Post Type/ Working Pattern – Permanent, Full Time (9-day compressed fortnight)
Interview Dates – Week commencing 18th March 2024
As a MEICA (Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Control and Automation) Electrician, your work will be essential in ensuring the efficient functioning of critical flood defences. In addition to electrical tasks, you will also be involved in operating these defences when the need arises. This role offers a high level of variety, allowing you to contribute to the maintenance, repair and enhancement of electrical and control system infrastructure.
Join our dedicated team within the Environment Agency, a prestigious organisation committed to protecting the environment and ensuring the well-being of communities.
Based at the iconic Thames Barrier in London, you will be part of a highly regarded team known for their expertise and dedication. Together, we will work tirelessly to preserve and improve the electrical and control systems that are crucial for effective flood management in the region.
Why Choose Us:
- Make a real difference: in safeguarding Central London from flooding and managing the assets that protect the city and its residents. By joining our team, you’ll actively contribute to building a more resilient and sustainable environment, tackling the challenges posed by climate change head-on.
- Professional Growth: Gain valuable experience and enhance your skills as part of our dedicated team. Collaborate with experienced professionals in a supportive and inclusive environment, where continuous learning and professional development are encouraged. The Environment Agency offers opportunities for career advancement and the chance to work on diverse and impactful projects.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Work in close collaboration with government bodies, local councils, businesses, and communities. Engage with a wide range of stakeholders to address environmental challenges collectively, fostering partnerships that promote sustainable development and contribute to the well-being of communities.
- Incident Response: Responding to incidents is a central part of what we do. You will be required to have an incident role and make yourself available to respond to incidents or provide business continuity support during an incident. This may attract an additional payment and full training and alternative working arrangements will be available to support you with your incident role.
What will I do?
As part of the Thames Barrier and Associated Gates (TBAG) Engineering Team, you will report to the Electrical Team Leader and be part of the Thames Tidal Defences (TTD) MEICA team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Routine & reactive maintenance across a variety of electrical equipment.
- Fault diagnosis & repairs.
- Installation, modification & replacement of electrical equipment.
- Operational role during trials/flood defence operations.
What do I need?
- BS7671 18th edition qualification.
- Electrical Installation 2360 Parts 1&2 or equivalent NVQ Level 3.
- Strong understanding of and adherence to safe working practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in electrical installation and maintenance.
- Familiarity with working according to Standards, Regulations, and Approved Codes of Practice.
- Proficiency in computer usage, including Microsoft programmes.
One or more of the following is highly desireable:
- JIB/ECS card.
- City & Guilds 2391/2394 & 2395 inspection and testing certification.
- Experience in hydraulics, HV distribution, SCADA, instrumentation, or telemetry systems.
What's in it for you:
You’ll benefit from a culture that embraces difference and is inclusive where you’ll feel supported and trusted to do the right thing. We’ll invest in you and allow you to grow and shape your career.
What’s more, you’ll have access to our great benefits package including:
- A salary of £31,429 - £36,710
- Plus London Weighting £4,064
- Standby working in a 1in2 weeks of £158,28 per week - £4,115 approximately
- Standby Allowance of £3,000 when trained and competent
- Professional Registration Allowance: Receive £9,750 if you are a Chartered Engineer or £4,750 if you are an Incorporated MEICA Engineer registered with the Institution of Engineering and Technology(IET) or the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- A generous pension scheme
- Overtime opportunities through standby and incident pay
- 25 days holiday + 8 bank holidays for full-time employees
- Great career opportunities
- Maternity, paternity, and adoption leave scheme
- Options for flexible and / or part-time working upon request
As an organisation we strive to reflect the communities we serve, to achieve this we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, sexual orientation, and religion. If you have any questions regarding the vacancy or application process, please contact the recruitment team at [email protected].
Don't miss this opportunity to be part of the UK's biggest environmental organisation. Join us, and together, let's tackle the challenges of a changing climate and build a more sustainable future. Apply now and embark on a rewarding and fulfilling career journey with the Environment Agency!
Closing date for applications Friday 1st March 2024.