What We Do
Do you want to work for an organisation that makes a difference?
Our Field Operations teams work towards protecting people and the environment by maintaining and operating our flood and coastal risk management assets across the country. We provide advice and support to our colleagues across the business and to external customers and stakeholders. We respond to flooding and environmental incidents both day and night and provide mutual aid which supports our colleagues and communities when flooding incidents occur.
Field teams are the workforce of the Environment Agency. As our ‘frontline’, the field teams protect people and the environment by providing operational response during flood events, maintaining our river and coastal assets, and providing 24/7 response to maintain defences. The field teams have a range of technical skills they use to deliver watercourse maintenance, along with asset maintenance and construction projects. The teams work collaboratively across the organisation to achieve positive outcomes.
This role is primarily an office based operational role, but will require to be outside in all weathers on occasions. You will require a UK Driving Licence. Health & Safety accreditations are advantageous but not a requirement.
Ground Maintenance Operative – Field Team Member
In this role you will:
- Maintain and operate flood and coastal risk management assets, ensuring their optimal performance in safeguarding communities.
- Respond to incidents and emergencies related to flooding and other environmental challenges, playing a vital role in our 24/7 standby roster. Your dedication will be compensated in addition to your basic pay.
- Contribute to initiatives, such as installing flood barriers, building sandbag walls, deploying high-volume pumps, and providing assistance to affected communities during flood situations.
- Utilise a wide range of tools and equipment, including chainsaws, strimmers/bushcutters, heavy plant machinery, boats, and more. Your proficiency will be key to preventing and mitigating flood risks.
- Participate in various tasks such as structural maintenance, vegetation management, small construction projects, soft engineering methods, beach maintenance, and culvert and grille clearances.
Why Join The Environment Agency?
If you are part of the Environment Agency, you will play your part in protecting and improving the environment. You will do vital, purposeful work that influences and protects lives, places and communities now and in the future. We are based across England, and our responsibilities span industry regulation, flood defences, land contamination, water quality, fisheries and conservation.
Making a Difference
Climate Change is the biggest risk we face. We are planning for future flood scenarios including a 4°C rise in global temperature and are working with government, local councils, businesses, civil society groups and communities to make our environment a better place for people and wildlife.
Our Field teams protect people and the environment by maintaining and operating our flood and coastal risk management assets and responding to incidents.